These chicken quesadillas are a super simple recipe that’s a guaranteed hit! A Mexican inspired feast is usually a hit in our house and quesadillas are sure to fill up adults and kiddies alike. This popular Mexican dish has a crispy outside and a melty gooey inside. We have gone the traditional route with corn tortillas, but if you prefer a flour tortilla then go for gold, because they work just as well!
Our biggest trick here and a little secret that we’d like to share with you is…. *drum roll please*… that we use a sandwich press instead of a pan! That’s right the trusty sandwich press makes an appearance here. Once you start using this kitchen appliance for some other sneaky recipes we promise that you’ll never look back! When you’ve stuffed your tortillas and folded them over, simply plop them into a preheated, lined sandwich press and let it do the work for you! Voila! Delish warm, gooey and crunchy chicken quesadillas!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 500g chicken breast
- 1 sachet mexican spice mix
- 4 flour tortillas
- OR 4 corn tortillas
- 1 jar mexican salsa
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- Salad to serve
- Prep Ingredients: Slice the chicken breast into cubes
- Rub spice mix over the raw chicken and set aside for a couple of minutes to let the flavours combine.
- Cook chicken in a frying pan for about 8 mins or until golden brown.
- Preheat sandwich press and line with baking paper.
- Place a tortilla on the press and add cheese, followed by chicken, salsa, spinach leaves and more cheese (if you like!)
- Fold the tortilla onto itself. The heat from the sandwich press will make the tortilla more pliable.
- Cook in the press for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with salsa and salad
Dairy-free adaptation: Swap cheese with avocado.
Low FODMAP adaptation:
Use corn tortillas.
Most salsas contain garlic and onion so either limit your intake to 1-2 tbsp per serve or substitute for tomato paste.