These Snickers inspired overnight oats are a deliciously decadent way to have dessert for breakfast. Snickers are an all round people pleaser when it comes to chocolate bars… and they’ve always been one of my favourites. With the chocolate outside, the salty sweet inside and the mishmash of smooth and crunchy textures, if you’re a sweet brekky fan you’ll love this recipe!
Overnight oats are a staple in our household as well. Oats make a great base that can be transformed into nearly anything. When you’re running around in the morning, heading to the gym, getting ready for work and need a portable breakfast these Snickers overnight oats can be whipped up the night before in a jar. Then simply pick them up on the way out the door alongside a trusty spoon.
The rolled oats will do all the hard work overnight while you sleep. They will absorb most of the liquid and soften into a bowl of creamy deliciousness. I prefer a texture similar to cake, so I’ve added some chia seeds to ensure the oats bind together, so depending on your preferences you can tweak this recipe to suit your texture and tastebuds.
Now I want to let you in on the secret ingredient for this recipe. This was in fact my inspiration for this recipe to begin with… and that is Queens Salted Caramel Essence. This stuff is liquid gold. Adding this to the base of your Snickers overnight oats truly makes them taste like a Snickers bar. It will truly make this quick, easy, on-the-go breakfast a winner in any household.
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1 1/2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp Queens salted caramel essence
1 pitted Medjool date (soaked for 15 minutes in warm water)
1/2 cup vanilla yoghurt
1 tsp cocoa powder
Optional: 1 scoop protein powder (salted caramel or vanilla work the best!)
1. Soak the date in warm water for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the water and mash or blend the date until smooth.
3. Add 1 teaspoon of warm water to get a smoother consistency
4. Add a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
5. Voila you have a delicious date caramel. Set aside for later.
6. To a jar add the rolled oats, milk, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, chia seeds and Queens salted caramel essence.
7. Close the jar, shake to combine.
8. Layer it up! Take your date caramel and place on top of the oats.
9. Take the remaining 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter and layer on top.
10. In a small bowl combine the vanilla yoghurt and cocoa powder.
11. Then layer this on top of the oats, date caramel and peanut butter.
12. Place in the fridge overnight.
13. Whip it out the next morning and top with a chocolate drizzle, crushed nuts or cocoa powder.